Re: st: computing elasticities after using lpoly

From   Austin Nichols <>
Subject   Re: st: computing elasticities after using lpoly
Date   Tue, 9 Oct 2012 11:53:55 -0400

Arka Roy Chaudhuri <>:
For a worked example, try:

webuse motorcycle, clear
lpoly accel time, deg(1) k(tri) bw(3) gen(x s)
qui levelsof x, loc(xs)
g double schk=.
g double b=.
loc i 1
qui foreach l of loc xs {
 gen double w=max(0,3-abs(time-`l'))
 reg accel time [aw=w]
 replace schk=_b[_cons]+_b[time]*`l' in `i'
 replace b=_b[time] in `i'
 drop w
 loc i=`i'+1
assert float(s)==float(schk)
la var b "Slope"
la var s "Conditional mean"
sc s b x, msize(small small) c(l) name(slopes)