Re: st: computing elasticities after using lpoly

From   Nick Cox <>
Subject   Re: st: computing elasticities after using lpoly
Date   Sat, 6 Oct 2012 10:19:37 +0100

It seems to me that the whole point of -lpoly- is to be flexible about
modelling a relationship. It has absolutely no sense of any idea of an
overall slope. If you want a number for the slope, -lpoly- is useless.
If you want an independent view of how far the relationship after some
smoothing really is (e.g.) linear or monotonic, then -lpoly- can be
useful, mostly by providing a graph. For what you want, any
appropriate regression method will be better, such as -regress- or