Re: st: computing elasticities after using lpoly

From   Maarten Buis <>
Subject   Re: st: computing elasticities after using lpoly
Date   Sat, 6 Oct 2012 15:05:19 +0200

On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 12:21 PM, Nick Cox wrote:
> But I wouldn't use -lpoly- for that purpose at all. I would use
> -fracpoly- or a spline approach (e.g. -rcspline- (SSC)) to get smooths
> before I tried to get slopes. The problem with all these approaches is
> that estimates of slope are very sensitive to noise.

My -postrcspline- package can return the derivatives of a restricted
cubic spline. You can download it by typing in Stata -ssc install
postrcspline-. Examples can be seen here:

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Reichpietschufer 50
10785 Berlin