st: Conversion from string to numeric with imported excel document

From   Ryan Stevens <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Conversion from string to numeric with imported excel document
Date   Tue, 2 Oct 2012 21:25:55 -0400

Hello all,

I'm having a very weird problem. I have imported an excel document
which was generated from an online game me and my co-author are
working with. Of course, when importing it into STATA the numeric
values are stored as strings. However, in trying to convert from
strings to numerics, it changes the values of the cells. I have tried
both encode and destring commands. I also attempted to trim off any
blank spaces, believing this may be an issue. Furthermore, I've tried
manually removing any blank spaces or non-numeric values from the
excel file and re-importing the document, and I still have the same
problem. The odd thing is if I am looking at any given cell it will be
the right value, however, when I click on the cell and view the value
of the number at the top, it does not match what is showing in the
specific cell. Any thoughts on how to resolve this problem would be
greatly appreciated.

Best,
Ryan