Re: st: wealth score using principal component analysis (PCA)

Subject   Re: st: wealth score using principal component analysis (PCA)
Date   Thu, 27 Sep 2012 09:11:20 -0500

The way I would put this would be, "in almost any when you know how
you are going to use the components later". PCA is a fabulous
technique to look at the data somebody just brought in to you
(although I would probably use -biplot- rather than the straight -pca-
to get a better look at the data). Once you know that your wealth
scores or whatever have you will go into a regression model, you are
better off with -sem- for a number of reasons: (i) it controls the
unavoidable measurement error, (ii) it lets your data speak to the
model rather than to one another -- the combination that maximizes the
variance may not necessarily be the combination that best works in the
regression model, (iii) you get a goodness of fit test to see whether
the whole argument is making sense. There are, of course, exceptions,
like when you want to run a principal components regression for
multicollinearity control/shrinkage purposes, and/or you want to stop
at the principal components and just present the plot of these, but I
believe that for most social science applications, a move from PCA to
SEM is more naturally expected than the one in the opposite direction.

I did publish a paper on how to do PCA with the asset data
(http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-4991.2008.00309.x), which is what
you have in say DHS, but my intent was to say, "If you are determined
on doing the PCA, this is how you would want to do this". And I gave
references to better approaches, including the fabulous explanation by
Bollen, Steklov and Glanville on how to build SEM models incorporating
asset variables into the latent socio-economic status variable.

--
-- Stas Kolenikov, PhD, PStat (SSC)  ::  http://stas.kolenikov.name
-- Senior Survey Statistician, Abt SRBI  ::  work email kolenikovs at