Re: st: wealth score using principal component analysis (PCA)

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: wealth score using principal component analysis (PCA)
Date   Thu, 27 Sep 2012 09:26:14 +0100

I can't give an answer to this question that is likely to satisfy you.
PCA and SEM are very different methods. PCA is in my view primarily a
multivariate transformation technique. SEM is, more obviously, a
family of modelling techniques. Even in this thread the use of PCA
appears to be part of a wider model-based strategy and that is likely
to be typical of most projects in which it appears. I don't think "use
PCA" is ever likely to be the core of the answer to "what should I
do?" but "use SEM" might be, sometimes.

Stas [sic] can speak for himself, but I suspect his position would be
close to mine on this.

Nick