Re: st: wealth score using principal component analysis (PCA)

From   Shikha Sinha <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: wealth score using principal component analysis (PCA)
Date   Tue, 25 Sep 2012 16:22:51 -0700

Thanks for your response Nick and stat!

I think I am struggling with how to create one scores from two
components. Let me pose my question again.

Suppose I want to create one index out of six variables. For example,
I want to create a  "women autonomy index". The index would be one
number for every households. The Demographic and health survey (DHS)
ask 10 different questions related to women autonomy and instead of
using the information in all the 10 questions, I just want to use an
index that contains the summary information of all the 10
questions/variables. I can use -pca to create the index. Once I use
-pca x1-x10, I can choose number of principal components (pc) to
retain based on eigenvalues or screeplot. Let assume that there are
three pc that have eigenvalues > 1 and I want to retain all these
components, though the first component has the highest variation.

Now, I want to create a "women autonomy index" based on these three
pc. How can I do that? If I use -predict p1 p2 p3, scores; it gives
three different scores, all unrelated. However, I want just one index,
kindly suggest how to do this.

Thanks,
Shikha