st: RE: runing StatTransfer "set" command from Stata do-file

From   "Reg Jordan" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: runing StatTransfer "set" command from Stata do-file
Date   Thu, 13 Sep 2012 10:53:28 -0400

Have you considered using xls2dta (Klein)? See

Hope this helps.

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Lucas Ferreira
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2012 10:34 AM
To: statalist
Subject: st: runing StatTransfer "set" command from Stata do-file

Dear all,

my trying to import some .xls files to Stata. I´m using StatTtransfer11, and
trying to automate the process, controlled from my do file.
The problem is that I need to issue the StatTransfer command  "set
WKS-NAME-ROW First-Row" before running the actual conversion (StatTransfer
command "copy").

As far as I can tell, there are two ways to send commands to StatTransfer:

- from the StatTransfer prompt (that blue window), typing specific
StatTransfer commands like "set" and "copy"
- from the operating system prompt with the "st" command. This is what the
Stata command "stcmd" uses to send commands to StatTransfer.

The problem seems to be that I can´t issue a "set" or other StatTransfer
commands from the OS prompt, only from the StatTransfer prompt.

Does anyone knows how this could be solved?

Lucas Mation