Re: st: Outreg margins error

From   Wameq Raza <>
Subject   Re: st: Outreg margins error
Date   Thu, 6 Sep 2012 17:08:24 +0200

Dear Nick,
Thanks for the response. Yes, the lntotalexp is the natural log of
expenditure. My syntax was:

 margins tfhhh shg lntotalexp lnhhsize fem0to13 fem36to55 fem55
men0to13 men14to35 men36to55 men55 eduprim_hh edumid   ///
_hh eduhigh_hh scst dumemp_hh2 dumemp_hh3 dumemp_hh4 dumemp_hh5
dumemp_hh6 kanpur allahabad aillness1 aillness2 ail   ///
 lness4 aillness5, post

lntotalexp:  factor variables may not contain noninteger values

Hopefully this syntax is correct following the previous response from
Carsten. I've also tried getting the margins using the same syntax
one variable at a time, but to no avail. Any suggestions?

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 2:02 PM, Nick Cox <> wrote:
> My suggestions are:
> 1. The error means what it says: -lntotalexp- (presumably the log of
> total expenditure) cannot be a factor variable.
> 2. The error arises from incorrect syntax, but you need to show us
> _exactly_ what you typed with your data.
> 3. For "STATA" read "Stata" throughout.
> 4. Points 2 and 3 are covered by the Statalist FAQ, so you really
> should read that before re-posting.
> Nick
> On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 11:01 AM, Wameq Raza <> wrote:
>> Dear Carsten and John,
>> Thank you so very much for the replies. As for the syntax Carsten
>> suggested, STATA gives me an error when estimating continuous
>> variables such as the ln of expenditures. The error message it gives
>> me is:
>> -lntotalexp:  factor variables may not contain noninteger values-
>> Any suggestions for this?
> *
> *   For searches and help try:
> *