Re: st: weight option

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: weight option
Date   Fri, 24 Aug 2012 08:09:05 +0100

I agree strongly that pie charts generally do not work so well as bar charts: that advice is much repeated in the literature.

But let's get the history straight.

Pie charts (not named as such) are due to William Playfair.

Florence Nightingale's diagrams were not pie charts, but bar charts in polar coordinates and not original with her: she copied the design from William Farr, and he was at best the fourth person to use them.

Nick