st: RE: RE: Problem with reshaping dataset

From   Amal Khanolkar <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: RE: RE: Problem with reshaping dataset
Date   Thu, 7 Jun 2012 12:00:23 +0000

Thanks - I didn't follow the help file on reshape in regards to stubnames.

If I want to change the dataset from wide to long, I should provide 'stubs of variable names'. Does this mean the stub of time variable, in this case 'year'.  And I specify a new variable variable for 'j'??

year is coded as year_1   year_2  year_3 and so on.

reshape long year, i(lopnr) j(time)

From: [] on behalf of Nick Cox []
Sent: 07 June 2012 13:54
To: ''
Subject: st: RE: Problem with reshaping dataset

Short answer is almost certainly Yes. You didn't specify any stubnames. So, you are confusing the syntax for an initial -reshape- and that for reversing a -reshape-.

Amal Khanolkar

I'm trying to reshape a dataset from wide to long format.

The id variable is called 'lopnr'

And time is specified in years (1980 to 2000) and is called 'year'

I tried the following:

reshape long, i(lopnr) j(year)

This above doesn't work. The error I get is: 'year contains all missing values'.

Do I need to specify any other varibales after long in the command line??