st: RE: Problem with reshaping dataset

From   Nick Cox <>
To   "''" <>
Subject   st: RE: Problem with reshaping dataset
Date   Thu, 7 Jun 2012 12:54:13 +0100

Short answer is almost certainly Yes. You didn't specify any stubnames. So, you are confusing the syntax for an initial -reshape- and that for reversing a -reshape-.

Amal Khanolkar

I'm trying to reshape a dataset from wide to long format.

The id variable is called 'lopnr'

And time is specified in years (1980 to 2000) and is called 'year'

I tried the following:

reshape long, i(lopnr) j(year)

This above doesn't work. The error I get is: 'year contains all missing values'.

Do I need to specify any other varibales after long in the command line??