Re: st: Import excel issues stata12

From (Kevin Crow, StataCorp LP)
To   "" <>
Subject   Re: st: Import excel issues stata12
Date   Thu, 07 Jun 2012 07:09:15 -0500

Katherine Sawyer <> inquired about
using -import excel- to import online files:

>Hello, has anyone been able to import an online excel file directly
>into stata 12 without saving first?  I need to write a loop to pull
>multiple datasets from online, so I am trying to bypass manually
>opening and saving them first.  When I try the following code:
>import excel
>011.xls, sheet("UCDP DyadicDataset") firstrow clear
>I get this error:  file
>could not be loaded

-import excel- can not open online Excel files.  We'll make this functionality
available in a future update.  Katherine can use the -copy- command to copy the
file to her local computer and then use the -import excel- command to read in
her data.  Note that there is no performance penalty to first using -copy- to
bring down a file from a URL and then using -import excel- to import it.  When
we add this feature to -import excel- we will use the -copy- command to bring
down the file to a temporary file which would then be imported.

-Kevin Crow