Re: st: Re: Delete upper case variable

From   Janet Hill <>
To   "" <>
Subject   Re: st: Re: Delete upper case variable
Date   Mon, 23 Apr 2012 09:14:41 +0100 (BST)

Eric, Kit and Nick.
Thank you all for your help.

----- Original Message -----
From: Eric Booth <>
Sent: Sunday, 22 April 2012, 22:41
Subject: Re: st: Re: Delete upper case variable

I don't think -findname- has the ability to select on variable case (that I could find anyways ((I thought I remembered Nick Cox commenting about this in an earlier thread, but I couldnt find it - or I'm imagining it))) ).

Here's a one way to do it:

sysuse auto, clear
rename mpg headroom, upper
foreach a in  `c(ALPHA)' {
cap ds `a'*
loc list `"`list' `r(varlist)' "'
di `"`list'"' //check this
drop `list'

- Eric

Eric A. Booth
Public Policy Research Institute
Texas A&M University

On Apr 22, 2012, at 4:14 PM, Janet Hill wrote:

> I am importing a large dataset and, following various data manipulations, I generate new variables that have lower case names. To clean the dataset I need to delete all variables that start with an upper case letter. I can see the names in ds or findname (from SSC) but I can't work out how to select these names for deletion. I would be grateful for any advice on this. I am using Stata 12.
> Thank you,
> Janet
> *
> *   For searches and help try: