st: Generating missings/dropping specific data based on one variable

From   Nina Bjerre Andersen <nina@medu.au.dk>
Subject   st: Generating missings/dropping specific data based on one variable
Date   Mon, 23 Apr 2012 10:27:47 +0200

Dear Statalist-subscribers

I have the peculiar problem of having to generate missings:
I have a dataset based on web-based questionnaire data, where some observations now include data on variables where they should be missing, i.e. some participants should not have been invited to answer those particular questions based on a "yes/no"-question given on another variable.
I therefore wish to generate missings, but I am finding that
 - using -drop- I am only allowed to drop entire observations
 - using -mvdecode- I can only generate missings based on the value of the variable itself.

Hoping someone can help,

Best regards

Nina Bjerre Andersen
Scholar