Re: st: Random sample panel data

From   Caliph Omar Moumin <sheikmoumin@yahoo.com>
Subject   Re: st: Random sample panel data
Date   Sun, 22 Apr 2012 06:47:02 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you Nick i have seen this before. But does´t work for me.
1.the first option takes only once per observation
2. the second option: Stata does not execute the command
bysort hhid (select): replace select = select[_N].
in my data it is like this
bysort Nr (select): replace select = select(_N)and this error comes outunknown function select()
r(133);
I don't know what is the problem is? I would appreciate if someone could help me.
Kind Regards,
Caliph Moumin

Email:  sheikmoumin@yahoo.com

----- Original Message -----
From: Nick Cox <njcoxstata@gmail.com>
To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Sent: Saturday, April 21, 2012 12:48 AM
Subject: Re: st: Random sample panel data

You can help yourself. The Statalist FAQ advises at

http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/statalist.html#before

"search can tell you about all built-in Stata commands, all ado-files
published in the Stata Technical Bulletin or the Stata Journal, and
all FAQs on the Stata website, www.stata.com."

Here you are:

FAQ     . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Sampling clusters, not individuals
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  N. J. Cox and S. Merryman
        5/06    How can I sample clusters, not individuals?
                http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/sampleby.html

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 9:55 PM, Caliph Omar Moumin
<sheikmoumin@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am having difficult in selecting suitable sample from a stata dataset with multiple observations per Id variable. The data is many as 27000 observations. But there are many id variable with multiple observation, and more than 15 variables, for example if variable var1 is the id variable and it has observation “A” which  is repeated 10 times, I want a random selection which if it selects observation "A" in var1, then it selects all observations of “ A”, not only once, but 10 times in this case.

*
*   For searches and help try:
*  http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?searchhttp://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faqhttp://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/