Re: st: Tolerance for -merge- variable

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Tolerance for -merge- variable
Date   Thu, 29 Mar 2012 16:50:18 +0100

On your bottom line:

I don't disagree that people often want merging with tolerance, or
think they do. It would be all too likely to bite them one way or the
other. The problem is that it _cannot_ be implemented as people would
want in terms of decimals without pitfalls. There is now a substantial
expository literature on precision, in the Stata Journal, FAQs and the
StataCorp blog, but all too much evidence that many Stata users don't
understand that most decimals can not be held exactly.

I'd argue that it's best that they take responsibility for
implementing their own tolerance. If StataCorp move one bit (so to
speak) on this point I will (pretend to) eat one of my hats.

Nick