Re: st: Tolerance for -merge- variable

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Tolerance for -merge- variable
Date   Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:43:22 +0100

My understanding is that there is _no_ tolerance. Equal matches,
unequal doesn't. What implies otherwise?

More specifically,

1. Like you, I wouldn't by preference use a non-integer numeric
variable as an identifier, largely because of worries that things like
this might happen.

2. This is expectable if one variable is -float- and the other
-double- as then x.1 (or whatever) will be stored as different binary
approximations. See documentation on precision, passim.

3. If the variables are the same type, please show us (a) minimal
datasets  and (b) -merge- syntax which shows your problem. But you
should first use hexadecimal formats to see if the identifiers really
are identical. If not, -merge- is behaving as expected.

4. Otherwise, my best advice is that conversion to string must use an
explicit format argument to maximise your chances, e.g. -string(myvar,
"%18.1f")-.

Nick