Re: st: Tolerance for -merge- variable

From   Rob Ploutz-Snyder <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Tolerance for -merge- variable
Date   Thu, 29 Mar 2012 10:37:22 -0500

Thank you Nick for your prompt reply to my post.  You have clarified
my problem exactly--and more clearly than I.

The precision problem  becomes even more troublesome when different
software play the game. In my case, I rec'd one data set with ID's
that were generated in Excel... I've no idea what the precision is
there but  I know that it doesn't align nicely with the other dataset
that generated those (decimal) IDs in Stata's.

Alas--I guess I am stuck with converting ID's to String for the merge.
 The good news is that I was especially avoiding this solution because
I had assumed that I couldn't then use a string ID var as an
identifier in Stata's -xtmixed- or other xt routines, so I had to
back-convert into a numberic ID.

I seem to be able to use a String variable for that too so I suppose
Stata's -merge- behavior is alright in the end.

...I stubbornly admit that I still wish it had a tolerance option
that we could tweak so that, with our instruction, it would treat ID's
within ?? decimals as equal.

Again--thank you!
Rob