Re: st: how can I merge two data sets over a range of values

From   David Radwin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: how can I merge two data sets over a range of values
Date   Wed, 08 Feb 2012 20:06:50 -0800 (PST)

Richard,

I think you want to round the values in both datasets to the nearest dollar. Something like this:

use dataset2, clear
gen price_rounded=round(price)
save dataset2b
use dataset1, clear
gen price_rounded=round(price)
merge 1:1 price_rounded using dataset2b

Technically the value of 20 in dataset1 will merge only to values 19.5 through 20.49 in dataset2, but I suspect this is what you want.

If you want to customize the ranges more, such as matching 20 in dataset1 to the range 17.5 through 22.49 in dataset2, you can use -recode- or -egen- to create your new variables in both datasets.

David