Re: st: Cleaning Strings and Regular Expressions

From   Tirthankar Chakravarty <>
Subject   Re: st: Cleaning Strings and Regular Expressions
Date   Wed, 23 Nov 2011 16:45:49 -0800

Well, if it helps you, the -strip- package (SSC, Paul Seed) automates
the required -subinstr()- in a -for- loop.

set obs 1
g x = "hi.there,gu;ys."
strip x, of(".,;") g(new_x)

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Cory Smith <> wrote:
> Hiya all,
> I'm looking to use regular expressions or another command to remove an
> arbitrary list of characters from a string. For example, I might want
> to remove all punctuation so
> hi.there,gu;ys. becomes hithereguys
> I'd love to use regexr, but it only replaces the first substring. Is
> there a way to use (STATA) regular expressions for this? Otherwise I'm
> stuck with running subinstr in a for loop.
> Cory
> *
> *   For searches and help try:
> *