st: Cleaning Strings and Regular Expressions

From   Cory Smith <>
Subject   st: Cleaning Strings and Regular Expressions
Date   Wed, 23 Nov 2011 17:57:52 -0500

Hiya all,
I'm looking to use regular expressions or another command to remove an
arbitrary list of characters from a string. For example, I might want
to remove all punctuation so
hi.there,gu;ys. becomes hithereguys

I'd love to use regexr, but it only replaces the first substring. Is
there a way to use (STATA) regular expressions for this? Otherwise I'm
stuck with running subinstr in a for loop.