RE: st: Quantum mechanics in Stata

From   Nick Cox <n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk>
Subject   RE: st: Quantum mechanics in Stata
Date   Wed, 16 Nov 2011 11:14:10 +0000

I was asking for extra references. Thanks for these. However, the more I think about it, the more finding a suppressed integer denominator and estimating an unstated unit of measurement seem only superficially similar problems and calling them both quantum problems may mislead too.

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu [mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] On Behalf Of Kieran McCaul
Sent: 16 November 2011 00:42
To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject: RE: st: Quantum mechanics in Stata

When I read Nick's original post, I wasn't really sure what he was
asking for (I'm still not 100% sure), but I started to download the
paper by Kendall that Nick referenced only to discover that I already
had a copy of it.

I came to it via a paper in Significance:
Sixsmith E (2009).  The megalithic story of Professor Alexander Thom.
Significance 6(2): 94-96.

This was a review of Thom's work in which he proposed the existence of
an ancient unit of measurement: the "megalithic yard".
Thom A (1955).  A statistical examination of the megalithic sites in
Britain.  J R Stat Soc A 118(3): 275-295.
Thom A (1962).  The megalithic unit of length.  J R Stat Soc A 125(2):
243-251.
Thom A (1964).  The larger units of length of megalithic man.  J R Stat
Soc A 127(4): 527-533.

These "quantal" problems are found in many different fields of research.
A more recent review is:
Cankaya E and Fieller NRJ (2009).  Quantal models: a review with
additional methodological development.  J Appl Stat 36(4): 369-384.