Re: st: RE: Error in compute probabilities using oprobit

From   Richard Williams <>
Subject   Re: st: RE: Error in compute probabilities using oprobit
Date   Tue, 16 Aug 2011 13:49:50 -0500

At 12:26 PM 8/16/2011, Nick Cox wrote:
Not so weird.

First, is -norm()- documented as a function in your version of Stata? You should have checked that out first.

Second, -norm()- used to be part of Stata, and it's still there under version control.

. version 9 : di norm(.6)

. di normal(.6)

There is a slow shift towards more meaningful function names in Stata. If do-files and programs declare a -version-, as programmers are clearly advised, then nothing will be broken.

Also, see -help whatsnew8to9- and search for "The following existing functions have been renamed". The renaming actually occurred in version 9 but the old names continued to work without version control until Stata 10, I believe.

I love the way old commands and syntax continue to work under version control. However, finding the documentation for outdated commands can be a hassle at times. I have every version of Stata from 7 on, partly so I can track down the help for now-outdated and undocumented syntax.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu