Re: st: mfp and factor variable

From   "m. kh" <>
Subject   Re: st: mfp and factor variable
Date   Thu, 4 Aug 2011 13:08:40 -0700 (PDT)

adding xi worked beautifully, thank you all for your help

----- Original Message ----
From: Richard Williams <>
Sent: Thu, August 4, 2011 7:52:49 PM
Subject: Re: st: mfp and factor variable

At 10:36 AM 8/4/2011, m. kh wrote:
>Hi all
>I am trying to run
>. mfp: logit comp i.bmicat age apacheii sex dm admityear
>and I got the following message
>factor variables and time-series operators not allowed
>if I include my categorical variable without i before the variable,
>it would be
>considered as continuous. Any idea how to overcome this problem.

Can you create the dummy variables yourself? Or maybe use xi, e.g.

sysuse auto
xi: mfp: regress mpg weight displacement i.foreign

Having said that, whenever Stata won't do something that I would
expect it to allow, I wonder (1) is there a good statistical reason
for not allowing me to do it, or (2) have they just not gotten around
to programming it yet?

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu