Re: st: mfp and factor variable

To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu, statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: mfp and factor variable
Date   Thu, 04 Aug 2011 11:52:49 -0500

At 10:36 AM 8/4/2011, m. kh wrote:
Hi all

I am trying to run

. mfp: logit comp i.bmicat age apacheii sex dm admityear

and I got the following message

factor variables and time-series operators not allowed

if I include my categorical variable without i before the variable, it would be
considered as continuous. Any idea how to overcome this problem.

Can you create the dummy variables yourself? Or maybe use xi, e.g.

sysuse auto
xi: mfp: regress mpg weight displacement i.foreign

Having said that, whenever Stata won't do something that I would expect it to allow, I wonder (1) is there a good statistical reason for not allowing me to do it, or (2) have they just not gotten around to programming it yet?

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu
WWW:    http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam