RE: st: .dta storage, why is too big?

From   Nick Cox <>
To   "''" <>
Subject   RE: st: .dta storage, why is too big?
Date   Wed, 8 Jun 2011 16:52:24 +0100

Stata also has a -zipfile- command.

Ronan Conroy

On 2011 Meith 7, at 19:08, Daniel Feenberg wrote:

> If you are running under Unix, you might use one of the Unix compress
> commands on the dta file, and use the method described here:
> to read or write such files, achive much better compression, and
> possibly higher speed.

There are also two user-written utilities to save and read zipped and gzipped  files. See under -findit zipsave-

Zipping typically reduces Stata filesizes by 80% in my experience.

Looking at some of the larger data files I have, it looks like Stata and JMP files are of the same size (JMP slightly larger), SPSS half that size and zipped files about 20%.