Re: Re: st: .dta storage, why is too big?

From   "Clyde Schechter" <>
Subject   Re: Re: st: .dta storage, why is too big?
Date   Wed, 8 Jun 2011 12:05:33 -0700

On Tue, 7 Jun 2011, Daniel Marcelino wrote:

> Hello for all,
> today I came across my old and new files size, R and Stata storage
> respectively. This got me thinking about why Stata compression is too
> inefficient compared to R? Even thought I use variable attributes like
> labels R compression is incredible. For example, 530 mb of Stata file
> turns into 9 mb R file and about 330 mb as txt file.  So, my point is:
> do you know any trick to compress Stata files addition to command line
> "compress".

and Daniel Feenberg replied that Stata doesn't do any "Shannonesque

That is true, but I really wonder if there isn't something wrong with
Daniel Marcelino's Stata installation, or something very odd about the
file that provoked his post.  I have been using Stata since version 4 and
I have _never_ in all those years encountered a data set that was larger
as .dta than as a text file.  The .dta version may not be much smaller
than the text version, but, I have never seen it be larger.

Clyde Schechter
Associate Professor of Family & Social Medicine
Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY, USA

Please note new e-mail address: