Re: st: dhs data in stata number of obs and population size

From   Steven Samuels <sjsamuels@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: dhs data in stata number of obs and population size
Date   Wed, 18 May 2011 09:10:50 -0400

Michele

Your question is not clear to me.  The statement in the 2007 Bangladesh Final Report is:
"The final weights were normalized in order to give the total number of un-weighted cases equal to the total number of weighted cases at national level, for both household weights and individual weights."

This appears to refer to the normalization (I called it "standardization", incorrectly) that was applied to the weights before their distribution.

If you are asking: can you apply a correction to the weights so that you can estimate population *totals*, the answer is "No".  If you want to convert percentages totals, you must multiply them by an external estimate of the total for the population. This, to my mind, is one of the most serious problems with using normalized rates-that they do not provide independent estimates of totals.

Steve
sjsamuels@gmail.com