Re: st: Using 64 bits stata to increase memory

From   Eric Booth <>
To   "<>" <>
Subject   Re: st: Using 64 bits stata to increase memory
Date   Tue, 17 May 2011 22:14:23 +0000

On May 17, 2011, at 4:48 PM, William Pratt wrote:
> Stata will only allow as much memory as your smallest card size. If
> you have 4gb of memory and you are employing four memory slots at 1gb
> each, the maximum amount of memory you may allocate is 1gb.
This certainly isn't universally true. That is, I haven't seen this on any of the 64-bit Mac or Windows machines I routinely use with Stata 11 64-bit.  They have 8 G or 4 G modules/cards and I frequently allocate and use (without virtual mem) 30 G or more (on machines with 32 G or 64 G physical RAM). Maybe there are other systems that have this limit(?)

- Eric
Eric A. Booth
Public Policy Research Institute
Texas A&M University