st: Using 64 bits stata to increase memory

From   Raquel Rangel de Meireles Guimarães <>
Subject   st: Using 64 bits stata to increase memory
Date   Tue, 17 May 2011 17:47:25 -0300

Hi all,

I have a MS Windows 7 Home Basic 64-bit and a Intel Core2Duo CPU P7550, 4.0GB RAM.

I would like to load a large dataset (almost 2GB), but I could not increase memory. I tried to put more than 1.5 GB, but operational system refused to provide memory. I've read about this and it seems that windows does not allocate more than 2 GB on 32-bits applications. Also I've enabled virtual memory, which seems to be set on by defaut in Stata 11. Unfortunately, it didn't work.

I have a question: if I use a Stata MP 64 bits it would be possible to load this kind of dataset?

Kind regards,

Raquel Rangel de Meireles Guimarães
Professora Substituta do Departamento de Demografia, UFMG
Doutoranda em Demografia
Cedeplar - Centro de Desenvolvimento e Planejamento Regional