st: RE: Using 64 bits stata to increase memory

From   "Jesper Lindhardsen" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Using 64 bits stata to increase memory
Date   Wed, 18 May 2011 08:22:04 +0200

Hi Rachel,

I know it is not what you asked, but until you find a 'hardware' solution, you could use the dataset in 'bites'. Either by loading only the variables you need (ie -use var1 var2 var3 using dataset.dta) or by loading only a certain number of observation (-use dataset.dta in 1/10000), do some data management and then assemble it back together.

BW,
Jesper

Jesper Lindhardsen
MD, PhD candidate
Department of Cardiovascular Research
Copenhagen University Hospital, Gentofte
Denmark

Rachel wrote:

Hi all,

I have a MS Windows 7 Home Basic 64-bit and a Intel Core2Duo CPU P7550,
4.0GB RAM.

I would like to load a large dataset (almost 2GB), but I could not
increase memory. I tried to put more than 1.5 GB, but operational system
refused to provide memory. I've read about this and it seems that
windows does not allocate more than 2 GB on 32-bits applications. Also
I've enabled virtual memory, which seems to be set on by defaut in Stata
11. Unfortunately, it didn't work.

I have a question: if I use a Stata MP 64 bits it would be possible to
load this kind of dataset?

Kind regards,

Raquel

--
Raquel Rangel de Meireles Guimarães
Professora Substituta do Departamento de Demografia, UFMG