st: RE: Using 64 bits stata to increase memory

From   "Jesper Lindhardsen" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: Using 64 bits stata to increase memory
Date   Wed, 18 May 2011 08:22:04 +0200

Hi Rachel,

I know it is not what you asked, but until you find a 'hardware' solution, you could use the dataset in 'bites'. Either by loading only the variables you need (ie -use var1 var2 var3 using dataset.dta) or by loading only a certain number of observation (-use dataset.dta in 1/10000), do some data management and then assemble it back together.

Jesper Lindhardsen
MD, PhD candidate
Department of Cardiovascular Research
Copenhagen University Hospital, Gentofte

Rachel wrote:

Hi all,

I have a MS Windows 7 Home Basic 64-bit and a Intel Core2Duo CPU P7550,
4.0GB RAM.

I would like to load a large dataset (almost 2GB), but I could not
increase memory. I tried to put more than 1.5 GB, but operational system
refused to provide memory. I've read about this and it seems that
windows does not allocate more than 2 GB on 32-bits applications. Also
I've enabled virtual memory, which seems to be set on by defaut in Stata
11. Unfortunately, it didn't work.

I have a question: if I use a Stata MP 64 bits it would be possible to
load this kind of dataset?

Kind regards,

Raquel Rangel de Meireles Guimarães
Professora Substituta do Departamento de Demografia, UFMG
Doutoranda em Demografia
Cedeplar - Centro de Desenvolvimento e Planejamento Regional