Re: st: Using 64 bits stata to increase memory

From   William Pratt <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Using 64 bits stata to increase memory
Date   Tue, 17 May 2011 16:48:57 -0500

Hello Raquel,
First you need to find out how large each of your RAM modules are.
Stata will only allow as much memory as your smallest card size. If
you have 4gb of memory and you are employing four memory slots at 1gb
each, the maximum amount of memory you may allocate is 1gb.
Therefore, employing two 4gb cards may be the best way for you to
achieve your goal. Also Windows may limit your memory usage slightly,
first you want to click on your computer properties and see how much
RAM is actually being recognized, if not all your RAM is being
recognized, you'll want to read up on increasing it either through
BIOS or some other route.
Good luck, William

2011/517 Raquel Rangel de Meireles Guimarães <[email protected]>

> Hi all,
>
> I have a MS Windows 7 Home Basic 64-bit and a Intel Core2Duo CPU P7550, 4.0GB RAM.
>
> I would like to load a large dataset (almost 2GB), but I could not increase memory. I tried to put more than 1.5 GB, but operational system refused to provide memory. I've read about this and it seems that windows does not allocate more than 2 GB on 32-bits applications. Also I've enabled virtual memory, which seems to be set on by defaut in Stata 11. Unfortunately, it didn't work.
>
> I have a question: if I use a Stata MP 64 bits it would be possible to load this kind of dataset?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Raquel
>
> --
> Raquel Rangel de Meireles Guimarães
> Professora Substituta do Departamento de Demografia, UFMG
> Doutoranda em Demografia
> http://ufmg.academia.edu/RaquelGuimaraes
> Cedeplar - Centro de Desenvolvimento e Planejamento Regional
>
> *
> *   For searches and help try:

University of Texas-Pan American
College of Business Administration
Department of Finance and Economics
South Texas Border Health Disparities Center
o - 956.316.7937
f - 956.292.7310