Re: st: svyset with DHS subsample

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: svyset with DHS subsample
Date   Tue, 17 May 2011 18:37:41 -0400

Sara

I've never analyzed the DV data and I don't have the DHS manual that describes these variables. But on the face of it, the domestic violence weights must be normalized as well.  That they don't sum to 1,000,000 is probably rounding error.

Generate the normalized weights as doubles and their sum (egen double totw = total(wt)) will add up to something you recognize, probably the sample size for the DV subsample.

And,  no,  your -svyset- should not include further and subsampling and stratification stages.

FYI: other DV researchers (http://www.reproductive-health-journal.com/content/7/1/11) reported that:

"To permit enough variability within communities in responses to the IPV questions, this analysis only included clusters where 10 or more women were administered the domestic violence module. A small number of clusters (and thus individual-level observations from those clusters) were dropped because too few women were asked about IPV."

Steve

Steven J. Samuels
Consulting Statistician
18 Cantine's Island