Re: st: specifying SVYSET in household survey using multi-stage clustered sampling

Subject   Re: st: specifying SVYSET in household survey using multi-stage clustered sampling
Date   Sun, 3 Oct 2010 11:06:20 -0400

Hello, Karin.

I think you need to stop calling the gathering strata "regions", and
call them the "gatherings population in in each region" or just the
"gathering strata". "Regions" (camps + gatherings) define an analysis
unit.

Create two data sets
households -for analysis of hh outcomes and statistics
Individuals: for analysis of individual outcomes & statistics.

The same -svyset- statements (below) should work for each.

These kinds of designs, which mingle two different sizes of PSUs,
households in the camps and gatherings in the remainder of the each
region, are difficult to set up and analyze. The main problem is that
the small number of gatherings sampled in each region gives poor
estimates of variability of and degrees of freedom (df). I'm going to
give you a liberal set up, which will give incorrect degrees of
freedom and give a reference to the problem at the end.

Strata: create a new variable "my_stratum"
1. Every camp is a stratum

For the refugees living in gatherings-
2. The gatherings in each region constitute a single stratum.

Thus the number of strata will be
H = no. of camps + no. of regions

You will have to create a numbering scheme for strata that includes them both.

Define the sampling units and fpcs
In the camp strata, define
psu = building ID
fpc = estimated no. of buildings in the camp
(If you listed individual households, than for "building" above,
substitute "hh".
ssu2= hh ID
fpc2 = no. of HH in the building
ssu3 = hh ID
pfc3 = 1.0

In the region strata for gatherings define
psu = (pseudo-)gathering ID
fpc = no. of (pseudo-) gatherings in the region
(alternatively, if gatherings in the region differ greatly in size:
the proportion of the region gathering population in the selected
gatherings, but there is little theory to justify this.)
ssu2 = building ID
fpc2 = no. of buildings in the gathering.
ssu3 = hh ID
fpc3 = no. of HH in a selected building (might be just 1)

You need two -svyset- statements, one for estimating descriptive
statistics (e.g.means, proportions), one for regressions and other
tests of association.

****svyset for descriptive stats*****************
svyset psu [pweight= weight], strata(my_stratum)
singleunit(certainty) fpc(fpc) || ssu(ssu2) fpc(fpc2)
ssu(ssu3) fpc(fpc3)
********************

The -svyset- for analytic statistics is the same as the previous one
but omits the fpc's

****svyset for regression and tests*****************
svyset psu [pweight= weight], strata(my_ stratum)
singleunit(certainty) || ssu(ssu2) || ssu(ssu3)
********************

The incorrect degrees of freedom will probably not be much of a a
problem for country-wide statistics, but could be for region-specific
statistics. See E Korn and B Graubard (1999) Analysis of Health
Surveys, Wiley, NY, Section 5.2 (p 193), for some suggestions.

Best of luck,

Steve

Steven J. Samuels
[email protected]