Re: st: RE: Re: FORTRAN

From   Jeph Herrin <stata@spandrel.net>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: RE: Re: FORTRAN
Date   Tue, 31 Aug 2010 09:56:06 -0400

On 8/30/2010 10:31 PM, Richard Williams wrote:

> It might also be related to the hardware available. I don't know if
> Stata comes in a supercomputer version, but fortran does.

Yes, FORTRAN still has a strong following among supercomputer users;
the compilers create extremely quick code that can't be matched by
Stata or any other meta language.

One of my first jobs was writing FORTRAN code to model isotope
production in nuclear reactors, there was nothing fancy about the
statistics (or physics) involved but speed was of essence - these
were the kinds of calculations that utilities leased mainframe
computational time to perform.

Jeph