From   "Joseph Coveney" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Re: FORTRAN
Date   Mon, 30 Aug 2010 22:55:20 +0900

Stata SpecialEdition wrote:

I have been using STATA for two years now and I LOVE it. I now need to
do some more complicated estimation in a language called FORTRAN. Is
it possible to read my STATA files in FORTRAN? A colleague said it was
impossible and I would have just save it as an ASCII. Is this the best
way? I just wanted to check whether this is the case with some STATA
(and hopefully FORTRAN experts).

The format of Stata's dataset files (.dta) are published, and so, if you're up
to it, you probably *could* read them with a suitable FORMAT / READ statement
(or set of FORMAT / READ statements) in Fortran.  Like your colleague, though,
I question the worthiness of such an undertaking for any applications that
you're likely to encounter.

I'd go with ASCII, just as your colleague says.

Joseph Coveney