From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: FORTRAN
Date   Mon, 30 Aug 2010 12:56:38 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Mon, 30/8/10, Stata SpecialEdition wrote:
> I have been using STATA for two years now and I LOVE it. I
> now need to do some more complicated estimation in a
> language called FORTRAN. Is it possible to read my STATA
> files in FORTRAN? A colleague said it was impossible and I
> would have just save it as an ASCII. Is this the best
> way? I just wanted to check whether this is the case with
> some STATA (and hopefully FORTRAN experts).

This is not exactly an answer to your question, but some years
ago there was a tutorial published on how to turn your FORTRAN
program into a Stata (Mata) program:

William Gould (2005) "Mata matters: Translating Fortran" The
Stata Journal, 5(3): 421--441.

This could be another solution to your problem...

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen