Re: st: Re: FORTRAN

To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu, statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: Re: FORTRAN
Date   Mon, 30 Aug 2010 18:12:44 -0500

At 03:38 PM 8/30/2010, Michael I. Lichter wrote:
1. I second Tony's advice that you don't want to take the time to learn FORTRAN (an ancient and nearly-dead language that I last programmed in nearly 30 (!) years ago) if you can avoid it. Hire somebody to help if at all possible.

FORTRAN was old when the world was young. Several billion people have been born and died since I last used it. But according to Wikipedia, FORTRAN itself continues to thrive and prosper. Among other things, Wikipedia says

"Since Fortran has been in use for more than fifty years, there is a vast body of Fortran in daily use throughout the scientific and engineering communities. It is the primary language for some of the most intensive supercomputing tasks, such as weather and climate modeling, computational fluid dynamics, computational chemistry, computational economics, plant breeding and computational physics. Even today, half a century later, many of the floating-point benchmarks to gauge the performance of new computer processors are still written in Fortran (e.g., CFP2006, the floating-point component of the SPEC CPU2006 benchmarks)."

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu
WWW:    http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam