st: error 603 using reshape

From   "Harry Comber" <h.comber@ncri.ie>
To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: error 603 using reshape
Date   Mon, 16 Aug 2010 14:53:27 +0100

I get an intermittent error 603 when using the reshape wide command in Windows XP. This seems more likely to happen if the dataset is larger, but sometimes the command will run if I try it again on the same data. I am guessing that this may be happening because the system runs out of memory, but I have no more memory available (600Mb). Is there any way around this? The dataset has 355K obs and is about 12Mb, with 5 "j" values. I have compressed the data and reduced the number of variables to a minimum.
Harry Comber

National Cancer Registry (www.ncri.ie)
Building 6800
Cork Airport Business Park
Kinsale Road
Cork.
Tel  +353 21 4318014
Fax +353 21 4318016
Email: h.comber@ncri.ie
The contents of this email are intended for the named addressee only. It contains information that may be confidential. Unless you are the named addressee or an authorised designee, you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you have received it in error please notify us immediately and then destroy it. The NCRI does not guarantee the security of any information electronically transmitted and is not
liable if the information contained in this communication is not a proper and complete record of the message as transmitted by the sender or for any delay in its receipt.