st: exponential smoothing

From   Schöler, Lisa <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: exponential smoothing
Date   Mon, 16 Aug 2010 14:00:55 +0000

Hi Statalist,

I want to do exponential smoothing for sales with Stata. I used the command

.tssmooth dexponential sales = ussalesdols000, forecast(1)

Sometimes I get negative out of sample forecasts which can't be true for sales. Is there a way to include a constraint so the out of sample forecasts will not get negative?

Lisa Schöler
Professur für BWL, insb. Electronic Commerce
Goethe-Universität Frankfurt
Grüneburgplatz 1
60629 Frankfurt a.M.
Phone: ++49 69 798 34632
Fax:   ++49 69 798 35001

Get serious about better marketing decisions - apply now!