st: Spatial weight matrix: r(198)

From   Natalie Trapp <>
To   statalist <>
Subject   st: Spatial weight matrix: r(198)
Date   Mon, 16 Aug 2010 15:28:27 +0200

Dear all,

I am using Stata 11 and would like to do a test on spatial autocorrelation. Unfortunately I had problems with setting matsize, as my data set is too huge (>44.000 obs.). I therefore deleted all the observations that were under a certain monetary value and then could set matsize to 6500. While I was creating the spatial matrix I got the error "obs must be between 4126 and 334910". However, I do have 4126 observations left after the deletion of more than 40.000 observations.
. set matsize 6500

Current memory allocation

                    current                                 memory usage
    settable          value     description                 (1M = 1024k)
    set maxvar         5000     max. variables allowed           1.909M
    set memory          550M    max. data space                550.000M
    set matsize        6500     max. RHS vars in models        322.887M

. spatwmat, name(borderweights) xcoord(BC) ycoord(EUBC) band(0 13)
obs must be between 4126 and 334910

Could someone tell me what this error message exactly means or what mistake I did?
Thank you very much in advance!