Re: st: Panelvar

From   Natalie Trapp <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Panelvar
Date   Fri, 06 Aug 2010 10:11:30 +0200

On 8/6/2010 10:00 AM, Hobst wrote:
Hello

  I have a panaldata set. I want to use the brandnames as the panel ID
variable, but obviously Stata doesnt accpet a string variable as the panel
ID var. How can i create a variable that defines a unique numbre for every
brand name so i can use it as the panel ID var for my paneldata?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Regards
Toby
Hi Toby,

I would first encode the string variable:

*encode varname, generate(newvarname)

then I would use "forvalues"

*sort  newvarname
*gen individual = .
*gen newvarname_lag = newvarname[_n-1]
*local number = 1
*replace individual = `number'  in 1
*local anzahl = _N
*forvalues i = 2/`anzahl' {
*replace individual = `number'  + 1 in `i'
*replace individual = `number'  if newvarname== newvarname_lag  in `i'
*local number = individual[`i']
*}
*drop  newvarname_lag

I am sorry, there is most probably a much more simple way to do it, but I wrote this when I had to identify individuals over more than one variable. I hope this helps you.

regards,
natalie

--
Natalie Trapp

Research Unit Sustainability and Global Change
Centre for Marine and Atmospheric Sciences
Hamburg University
Bundesstraße 55
D-20146 Hamburg

PhD student at the International Max Planck
Research School on Earth System Modeling