AW: st: Panelvar

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   AW: st: Panelvar
Date   Fri, 6 Aug 2010 10:21:07 +0200

I think -encode- is all Toby needs:

inp str11 brand int year
firstbrand 1990
firstbrand 1991
firstbrand 1992
secondbrand 1990
secondbrand 1991
secondbrand 1992

list, noo

//does not work
cap noi xtset brand year

//does work...
encode brand, gen(numericbrand)
xtset numericbrand year

What is the rest of your code meant to do, Natalie?

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
[] Im Auftrag von Natalie Trapp
Gesendet: Freitag, 6. August 2010 10:12
Betreff: Re: st: Panelvar

On 8/6/2010 10:00 AM, Hobst wrote:
> Hello
>   I have a panaldata set. I want to use the brandnames as the panel ID
> variable, but obviously Stata doesnt accpet a string variable as the panel
> ID var. How can i create a variable that defines a unique numbre for every
> brand name so i can use it as the panel ID var for my paneldata?
> Thanks a lot for your help.
> Regards
> Toby
Hi Toby,

I would first encode the string variable:

*encode varname, generate(newvarname)

then I would use "forvalues"

*sort  newvarname
*gen individual = .
*gen newvarname_lag = newvarname[_n-1]
*local number = 1
*replace individual = `number'  in 1
*local anzahl = _N
*forvalues i = 2/`anzahl' {
*replace individual = `number'  + 1 in `i'
*replace individual = `number'  if newvarname== newvarname_lag  in `i'
*local number = individual[`i']
*drop  newvarname_lag

I am sorry, there is most probably a much more simple way to do it, but
I wrote this when I had to identify individuals over more than one
variable. I hope this helps you.

Natalie Trapp

Research Unit Sustainability and Global Change
Centre for Marine and Atmospheric Sciences
Hamburg University
Bundesstraße 55
D-20146 Hamburg

PhD student at the International Max Planck
Research School on Earth System Modeling