st: Panelvar

From   Hobst <>
Subject   st: Panelvar
Date   Fri, 6 Aug 2010 01:00:20 -0700 (PDT)

 I have a panaldata set. I want to use the brandnames as the panel ID
variable, but obviously Stata doesnt accpet a string variable as the panel
ID var. How can i create a variable that defines a unique numbre for every
brand name so i can use it as the panel ID var for my paneldata?

Thanks a lot for your help.