Re: st: Spss vs Stata

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Spss vs Stata
Date   Wed, 4 Aug 2010 16:05:36 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Wed, 4/8/10, Yves Therriault wrote:
> When I raised the issue about Stata output, what I had in
> mind was rather how much it is easier to work with SPSS
> output. As I work in public health surveillance, I often
> have to distribute SPSS outputs to colleagues of mine at
> the Agence de la santé. All I have to do is to click on
> the left pane of the output, change the default title for
> a meaningful one, hide the details I don't need and,
> voilà, the output can be printed and distributed.

The combination of doing your analysis in .do files and
storing the output in logs should get you pretty close to
that. So you work on a .do file till you get the analysis
to a stage where you want to share it with your collegues,
than you surround the part you want to share with:

log using <some name>
<your commands>
log close

If you want to add titles or comments to different parts
you can do that by preceding the title/comment with a
* or // or surrounding the comments with /* and */.

These comments will be displayed in the output and thus
also in the log file.

This solution is not as "clickable" as SPSS, but it has
the advantage that you can easily reproduce your
analysis, and, what is often a huge timesaver in the
early stages of an analysis, you can easily fix any
errors and just rerun your .do file.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis