Re: st: Spss vs Stata

From   Yves Therriault <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Spss vs Stata
Date   Wed, 4 Aug 2010 11:25:15 -0400

Hello everyone !

Many thanks to Michael and all of those who have replied to my earlier
post. When I raised the issue about Stata output, what I had in mind
was rather how much it is easier to work with SPSS output. It's not
much that SPSS output is "prettier". I didn't mean that I wanted to
rely on Stata to display publication quality tables. After all, I
never pasted a SPSS output directly into a Word document. Perhaps I
wasn't clear enough in my post. English is my second language and I'll
never be as good in written English as I am in written French. When I
write in English, I try to think in English and not merely translate
my ideas from French. So it's possible that, from time to time, I may
not succeed to express my ideas clearly.

As I work in public health surveillance, I often have to distribute
SPSS outputs to colleagues of mine at the Agence de la santé. All I
have to do is to click on the left pane of the output, change the
default title for a meaningful one, hide the details I don't need and,
voilà, the output can be printed and distributed. Sometimes, I work
with the pivot tables (doubleclick on the table itself) when I want to
change the appearance of a particular table.

On the other hand, I understand that people who are very fluent with
Stata syntax prefer to work with user-written routines that are, as
Michael pointed out, ultimately much more powerful and gave the user
more control over the display. Like Robert, I too think that Stata
Corp shouldn't invest much time and efforts into developing an output
as "nice" or "pretty" as SPSS output. I just wish that Stata could
give the user the option to choose a more convenient way to work with
its output. Or a better copy/paste functionality! Should Stata decide
not to offer such an option, I'll do what most other Stata users did,
I'll learn to work with user-written programmes like tabout or estout
; - ). I think the end results are certainly worth the trouble though.
It's just that, as I am in my early fifties, it will probably require
more time and effort to learn Stata from scratch than if I were in my
early thirties ; - ).

Thanks Michael for the links. Moreover, your "Data Management Using
Stata" is the next book about Stata that I have on my list.

Best regards,

Yves Therriault, Ph. D.
Agent de recherche
Surveillance de l'état de santé de la population
Direction de la santé publique (Service en surveillance et évaluation)
Agence de la santé et des services sociaux de la Côte-Nord
Courriel :  [email protected]