st: Re: Invalid syntax in a program

From   Dani Tilley <[email protected]>
To   stata <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: Invalid syntax in a program
Date   Mon, 12 Jul 2010 13:08:06 -0700 (PDT)

Hi guys,

Thanks for taking the time. It turns out that the problem was that the program
could not access local macros declared elsewhere in the program. So a -forv
t=1/`max'- where max was a local declared outside the program would trigger the
invalid syntax error. I also noticed that this gave me an error:
program command, rclass
egen int max=max(varname) in 1

forv t=1/max[1] {
<code>
}
end

I did the following to fix it, but it feels clumsy:

egen int max=max(varname) in 1
local max=max[1]
drop max

forv t=1/`max' {
<code>
}

Any suggestions for a more elegant solution?

Thanks so much.

DF Tilley