st: RE: Re: Invalid syntax in a program

Subject   st: RE: Re: Invalid syntax in a program
Date   Mon, 12 Jul 2010 23:02:20 +0200

<>

What was wrong with your old approach? Several things, as it turns out.
Firstly, the -in- qualifier restricts the operation to the first
observation, which makes the caculation of a maximum meaningless. Second,
you need to force Stata to evaluate the first observation of variable "max"
explicitly to make this work. Note the second syntax achieves the goal much
more elegantly.

***********
sysuse auto, clear
egen int max=max(rep78) in 1