st: Invalid syntax in a program

From   Dani Tilley <>
To   stata <>
Subject   st: Invalid syntax in a program
Date   Mon, 12 Jul 2010 12:19:08 -0700 (PDT)

I'm trying to write a program that will do some fairly  involved manipulations
on variables. I'll spare you the code, but  I've tried it several times and it
works just fine. When I try to write a command that will do those operations for
me, I get invalid syntax.

capture program drop command
program command, rclass
version  10.0
syntax varlist(min=1 max=10)
foreach v of local varlist {
<working  code goes here>

command var1 var2
invalid  syntax r(198);

I also tried the following manually (not in a  program):

local b var1 var2
foreach v of local b{
<working  code>

and everything went smoothly. So I'm completely  baffled as to why this wouldn't

work in a program with -foreach v of  local varlist-.

Any help is appreciated.

DF  Tilley